I'm a writer
I do it mainly for me. It's how I think best...explore my thoughts...make sense of this world.
Sometimes, I am fortunate enough to be invited to share these thoughts with others. I can't tell you what a thrill it is to have people read my writing. It's as if they finally get a peek inside my brain and can understand my point of view. Granted, that view is a little goofy sometimes, but it's good to be so fully heard.
I'm passionate about several things: my family, nature, children (particularly, children IN nature), and literature. To me, children's books are an almost sacred undertaking
While doing research for my first book, I came across an unusual character who demanded my attention and wouldn't let go. She, Edith Rockefeller McCormick, became a bit of an obsession for me. I've spent the last several years of my life trying to figure her out. It's taken me far and wide -- even to Switzerland -- in an effort to piece together her character and her life. Read more on the Edith page.
Thanks for stopping by my site to look at my writing. I'm happy to share it with you. Be gentle trodding around there inside my brain...
I work in a grade school library. I'm lucky: it's a happy place. Picture dozens of 5, 6, and 7 year olds, all excited about books and exploring their newfound skill of reading. They are on the brink of a new world. I'm glad to be a witness and, occasionally, a gentle guide.
I have two children of my own who mastered reading long ago. One is in college, the other in high school. They make me smile, they bring me joy, they are my very embodiment of pride. My husband bangs loudly on drums for a living (Chicago Symphony Orchestra). Other family members include a squawky cockatiel and a very spoiled puppy. Suffice it to say our house gets noisy.
Other Fun But Probably Useless Information:
- I love to travel. Mostly, I love to travel with my children and watch their horizons explode.
- Long, long ago, I graduated from Northwestern University with a degree in German Language & Literature. (Useful, I know.)
- I'm a runner and occasional racquetball player.
- I was a soccer coach for many years.
- I'm a terrible singer. Even worse dancer.
- Give me a puzzle, anytime, any day.
- I'm an optimist, a dreamer, a believer in a good world. Usually. Unless I've just gotten a rejection.